May 4-10, 2015
Children's Book Week -- May 4-10, 2015
Celebrate the country’s longest-running national literacy initiative in your bookstore! Explore our celebration ideas below and send us information about your group’s plans, including pictures, logos, event head count, and links!
Visit our Digital Toolkit for resources to print or use online.
Each year, bookstores from coast to coast are selected as official event venues. Check out our lineup of Official Children’s Book Week Events in 2014.
To be considered as an official event venue for 2015, send us your bookstore name and location by October 30, 2014.
Ideas for Celebrating Children's Book Week
Children’s Book Week Display Contest
2013's gorgeous winning display at Northshire Books in Manchester Center, VT
The CBC is partnering with the ABC Children's Group at ABA on a Children's Book Week display contest again this year! Your display must be up for the duration of Children’s Book Week (May 4-10) to be considered.
- How well does the display adhere to the Children's Book Week theme (Celebrating children's books and reading)?
- How eye-catching is it?
- How well does it use the available space?
- How creative and unique is the display?
- Stay tuned for the CBW 2015 Poster reveal! Bonus points will be awarded for incorporating the CBW Poster and titles the artist pays homage to on it, and the 2015 Children's and Teen Choice Book Awards finalists.
A visit from a 2015 Children's-Choice-Book-Awards-winning author or illustrator (based on availability, subject to change), coverage in the ABA's Bookselling This Week Newsletter and the Children's Book Council's Update Newsletter, acknowledgement and promotion on bookweekonline.com, and social media coverage from the CBC and ABA.
Check back soon for details on how to enter the contest!
The Children’s and Teen Choice Book Awards
One hallmark of Children's Book Week is the announcement of the winners of Children's and Teen Choice Book Awards, the only national book awards program where the winning titles are selected by young readers of all ages. Voting will be open at ccbookawards.com from Tuesday, March 17 through Monday, May 4.
How to participate:
Get your young customers involved in the awards program!
- Display finalists in your store.
- Host a polling day or create a ballot box, then tally and enter kids' votes into the group ballot here.
Posters and Bookmarks
The official Children's Book Week poster is now available free of charge! Order one (or more!) and display it in your store. Print out free copies of the Children's Book Week bookmark to give out to customers.
- Host a Children's Book Week party.
- Check out more of our book celebration ideas on Pinterest!
- Organize a visit from a local author or illustrator.
- Contact the publisher of his or her most recent work to find out if a visit can be arranged.
Share the Joy of Reading
- Donate a portion of your profits during Children’s Book Week to help a library, school, or day care center in your area to buy books.
- Donate books to a local family shelter or children's hospital.