May 1-7, 2017
Children's Book Week -- May 2-8, 2016
Celebrate the country’s longest-running national literacy initiative in your bookstore! Explore our celebration ideas below and send us information about your group’s plans, including pictures, logos, event head count, and links!
Visit our Digital Toolkit for resources to print or use online.
Each year, bookstores, libraries, and comic book shops from coast to coast are selected as official event venues. Discover our 2016 participants here!
The sign up window has closed for 2016 official events. We are still happy to list your event details on our website. Please email those to Shaina Birkhead. Interested in becoming an official Children’s Book Week event venue in 2017? Let Shaina know that as well! Check out the requirements and perks!
Ideas for Celebrating Children's Book Week
Children’s Book Week Display Contest
2015's gorgeous winning display at Elm Street Books in New Canaan, CT.
The CBC is partnering with the ABC Children's Group at ABA on a Children's Book Week display contest again this year! Your display must be up for the duration of Children’s Book Week (May 2-8) to be considered. View last year's submissions here.
Your display must be up from at least April 30-May 8 to be considered.
- How well does the display adhere to the Children's Book Week theme (Celebrating children's books and reading)?
- How eye-catching is it?
- How well does it use the available space?
- How creative and unique is the display?
- Bonus points will be awarded for incorporating the 2016 CBW Poster and the Children's and Teen Choice Book Awards finalists!
A visit from a 2016 Children's Choice Book Awards-winner or finalist author/illustrator (based on availability, subject to change), coverage in the ABA's Bookselling This Week Newsletter and the Children's Book Council's Update Newsletter, acknowledgement and promotion on bookweekonline.com, and social media coverage from the CBC and ABA.
To enter, please send pictures of your display (along with photo credit) to Matt at the American Booksellers Association (ABA) by May 6. This will enable us to include your photos in pitches to national media about Book Week! The winner will be announced by May 18.
The Children’s and Teen Choice Book Awards
One hallmark of Children's Book Week is the announcement of the winners of Children's and Teen Choice Book Awards, the only national book awards program where the winning titles are selected by young readers of all ages. Voting will be open at ccbookawards.com from Tuesday, March 8 through Monday, April 25.
How to participate:
Get your young customers involved in the awards program!
- Display finalists in your store.
- Host a polling day or create a ballot box, then tally and enter kids' votes into the group ballot here.
Posters and Bookmarks
The official Children's Book Week poster by Brian Won is now available free of charge! Order one (or more!) and display it in your store. Print out free copies of the Children's Book Week bookmark to give out to customers.
- Host a Children's Book Week party.
- Get inspired by our fun, hand-picked event kits and activity sheets!
- Check out more of our book celebration ideas on Pinterest!
- Organize a visit from a local author or illustrator.
- Contact the publisher of his or her most recent work to find out if a visit can be arranged.
Share the Joy of Reading
- Donate a portion of your profits during Children’s Book Week to help a library, school, or day care center in your area to buy books.
- Donate books to a local family shelter or children's hospital.
- See our Book Drive one-sheet for more great ways to partner with literacy organizations during Book Week.
Promote your event
Once you decide which type of event to host, be sure to promote it!